Sunday, April 6, 2014

Medieval cooking - British Museum Cookbook, The Forme of Cury, and mujadara

On a recent trip home, my mother gave me a cookbook to bring back to New York with me.  It was one I bought for her in the late '80s during a trip to London, the British Museum Cookbook.  It's full of modern recreations of recipes from various points in human history.



This got me searching online for a variety of other cool cookbooks and recipes from ancient history.  Tonight I'm making a traditional Middle Eastern lentil and rice stew called mujadara.  The recipe is courtesy of the New York Times.  According to tradition, this is the stew that Esau sold his birthright to his brother Jacob for.  We'll see if it's that good.

While cruising the cooking sites, I found a great one that has modern versions of The Forme of Cury, a cookbook from late 14th century England.  I'm looking forward to trying some of these recipes in the future.

Here is the mujadara.  It is amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment