Saturday, April 12, 2014

Found books - "The Power of Now," "Juicing for Life," and "Emotional Cuisine"

In the lobby of my building, there is a small table that has become, much to our landlord's dismay, ground zero in a building-wide swap meet.  Anytime someone has an item that they no longer want, it gets put on that table.  Sure it can look a little junky at times - recently one of our neighbors put four bags of clothes and one bag of shoes - but it's a great way to get rid of stuff that you no longer need, but still has some life left in it.

I've gotten some great scores there - some lovely scarves that I'm going to give to my niece for her birthday, some kitchen utensils, and a few hundred dollars worth of Waterford crystal wine glasses (seriously, who throws those away!?).

But mostly, I get books.

The latest ones are "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, "Juicing for Life" by Cherie Calbom and Maureen Keane, and "Emotional Cuisine" a book and accompanying CD by Marriott Marquis chefs Armando Monterroso and Steve Evetts (the book is signed by both chefs and features stunning photos of their creations).

The goal for the books that I get from the swap table is to read them, then pass them on (though I'll keep the signed one).  "The Power of Now" will probably go to my mom, who is really into these kinds of books right now, for whatever reason.  "Juicing for Life" will go to my trainer, who collects any kind of nutrition books that he can.

All in all, not a bad haul.  I'm especially looking forward to the Eckhart Tolle book.  I've never read any of his books, but good Lord, you can't help but see tons of his quotes on Facebook.






There is no Amazon link for "Emotional Cuisine," but here is  a great article on the travel site LandLopers that talks about the book and has a few of the amazing recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment