Thursday, July 25, 2013

Let Me Be Your Star

Ever since I got my Kindle, I've been one of those people who highlights particularly well-wrought turns of phrase, vibrant descriptions, or laugh-out-loud funny bits.

I think I highlighted a good quarter of Rachel Shukert's "Let Me Be Your Star," a reflection on her time writing recaps of episodes of "SMASH" for Vulture.  It's not a collection of the recaps, though she does offer you peeks, but a look at what brought her here.  Her love of theatre, her acting, her playwriting.  Sondheim.  How she came to be writing recaps.  Sondheim.  What she really thought of the show (she has a great Us vs. Them discussion in the book about what separates a Hollywood actor from a New York actor).  And a little Sondheim.

Mostly, it's a book about finding a place to belong.  A really, really hilarious book about finding a place to belong.  I caught myself laughing out loud a number of times.  You never know where Shukert is going to lead you with her stories, but the journey is the good part, so sit back and relax.

All this, and only $1.99.  What a bargain!


Purchase here.

No comments:

Post a Comment